• Length scales, science from the nano/molecular scale applied to the performance of full scale engineering and biological systems.
• Scientific disciplines, incorporating computer science, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, materials science, and physics.
• Technology Readiness Levels, from fundamental science to final product development.
• Industry sectors, such as automotive, rail, marine, energy, process and healthcare.
• Product lifecycles, from design and conception, through effective monitoring, maintenance and life extension, to recycling and final disposal.
We invite contributions to this debate from all researchers and practitioners in tribology. These may range from original research, carefully positioned in a specific part of this panorama, to broader integrating discussions.