- Early bird registration28 May 2018
- Standard registration11 June 2018
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). RSC members receive a discount of 10% for this course (membership number required) if booked at least 6 weeks in advance.
What will you learn on this course?
The 5-day Complete GC & GC-MS course is built from the 3-day Practical Essentials of GC & GC-MS and the 2-day GC & GC-MS Clinic courses to provide a complete training solution enabling you to understand your Gas Chromatograph or GC-MS instrument, develop applications, troubleshoot & maintain it.
This course covers all the practical theory you need to know about Gas Chromatography and its related techniques including gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; gases and plumbing; sample introduction like split, splitless, on-column and large volume injection techniques; data analysis; and sampling techniques like headspace, SPME, pyrolysis, thermal desorption, purge & trap, liquid-liquid and solid-phase extraction.
It also looks at how to choose the GC & GC-MS techniques for an application, set-up the instrument, how to develop & optimise methods and then finally how to maintain & troubleshoot the instrument, techniques and method. It also takes a brief look at advanced techniques to help solve those very tricky applications including Selective Discrimination, Deconvolution, Two-Dimensional GC (GC GC & GCxGC) and Chemometrics.
A FREE glossary on GC & GC-MS is provided with this 5-day course!
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography
- You will learn how to select and use the GC carrier gas
- You will learn about various injection techniques and when to use each
- You will learn how to select a GC column
- You will learn the operation and selection of an appropriate GC detector
- You will learn about the principles and components of the mass spectrometer
- You will learn how to undertake data analysis
- You will learn about different sampling techniques for GC
- You will learn strategies for method development
- You will get an introduction to GC & MS advanced techniques
- You will recognise areas requiring maintenance on the instrument
- You will learn the logical steps of instrument troubleshooting
Who is this course for?
The Complete GC & GC-MS course is for those who have some knowledge of gas chromatography and would like to greatly enhance it, learning the essential and practical theory about all available GC & GC-MS techniques.
For complete beginners with no or very little knowledge of GC, it is advisable to first attend the 1-day Absolute Basics of GC & GC-MS as you may be overwhelmed by the amount of information on this course.
If you don't have time to attend 5 days of training all in one week, you can learn about the techniques in the first 3 days, go back to the lab to implement the knowledge and then join us at a later date to attend the more advanced 2-day GC & GC-MS Clinic course.
If you would like to improve your knowledge in a particular area and don't have time to attend the 5-day course you can choose to attend individual days from the Complete GC & GC-MS course.